What Not to Wear to Court:
- Sleeveless or muscle shirt.
- Exercise outfit.
- Anything sexy or too dressy – tight tops, short skirts, sequins, slinky tops, revealing tops. Don’t
wear anything you’d wear out on a Saturday night!
- Sundress or strapless dress.
- Crop tops. Cover your belly button!
- Any top with spaghetti straps.
- T-shirts (especially ones with beer, drug or sexual references).
- Anything you’d wear to the zoo or to do yard work.
- Athletic attire, especially baseball caps.
- Jeans, unless they are the only long pants you own.
- Clothing that is too small or too large.
- Clothing that reveals your underwear.
- No Sneakers In Court
- Flip-flop sandals.
- Athletic shoes.
- High-heel spikes.
- Open-toed shoes.
- Anything you’d wear at the beach.
- Lots of jewelry, especially if it makes noise when you move.
- Sunglasses, unless medically prescribed.
- Messy Hair
- Wet and messy.
- Unnatural dye job.
- Hairnet and/or curlers.
- Weird or unusual haircut.
- Look dirty or unshaven.
- Cologne and perfume. Use very little. Too much and everyone will wonder what you are trying to cover up!
- Smelling like cigarette smoke.
- Smelling like pot. That’s a totally different problem!
- Smelling of alcohol. Again that’s a totally different problem!
- Nails – extremely long nails on both men and women, neon or bright nail polish.
Tattoos & Piercings:
- Hide the tattoos.
- Remove the jewelry BEFORE entering the courtroom.
- Bare legs or shoulders showing.
- Shorts or cut-offs.
Ideas of what you SHOULD wear to the courthouse:
Conservative dress – something you would wear to church, work or a nice social function. (If you wear a uniform to work,
it is usually OK to wear it to court unless you wear shorts to work.)
Wear clothes that fit. If you have gained or lost a lot of weight, please buy something new for your courtroom
- Wearing Tie
- Suit with tie.
- Sports coat.
- Long-sleeve button-down shirt with a collar and long pants.
- Wear a belt or suspenders to keep up your pants.
- A nice dress or woman’s business suit.
- A conservative pants suit.
- Conservative top and long slacks.
- Less is more. Remove all piercings.
- If you claim you have no money, then wearing lots of jewelry is unwise.
- Make sure nails are neat and clean.
- Wear neutral nail polish.
- Wear closed-toe shoes.
- Wear conservative shoes.
- Schedule a haircut two weeks before the court appearance.
- Look neatly groomed. If your hair is long, tie it back. No hairnets, rollers or combs.
- Brush your teeth and use mouthwash.
- Men, shave before court and trim your mustache/beard.
- Women, wear very conservative make-up.
- Use soap and water liberally before coming to court.
- Deodorant. You will be nervous, so be prepared.
- If you perspire a lot, bring a handkerchief or whatever to look cool and confident.